I have many thoughts while running. Often, it’s just you and your mind for well over half an hour. Running offers you that much needed peace and quiet, away from our modern lifestyles.
We’ve all been there. You go for a run and you have a million and one thoughts going through your mind.
“Why do I feel so tired already?”
“How fast should I be going?”
“Do I even like running?”
Many runners think they are the only ones to have these types of random thoughts while running, but you’d be surprised to know that you’re not alone!
In fact, we runners are notorious for having those inner monologues with ourselves. After all, when you’re alone for miles on end, you become your own best friend.
Recently, I came across Strava’s 2020 study on running motivation and why we run. In this study, they described five runner types: passionate, invested, fitness, mindful and reluctant runners. Unsurprisingly, the reluctant runner came out top with 28% of runners claiming to be reluctant runners.
This got me thinking about the ways in which we fall into the habit of becoming reluctant runners, and how we often convince ourselves not to go for a run, or try and sabotage ourselves when we are on a run.
Our thoughts while running play a large role in this self-sabotage. But instead of fearing these thoughts, I think it’s wise to embrace them and see them for what they are!
If you struggle to maintain running motivation, then check out my posts on running motivation:
- 6 tips to keep running fun
- 9 ways to motivate yourself to go for a run
- Common barriers to exercise and how to overcome them
- How to fit running into a busy schedule
- How to start running again after a long break
You may also want to check out my other posts on funny and motivational running quotes to inspire you and hilarious running memes to brighten your day.
Thoughts while running: 45 thoughts every runner has while out for a run
Wow, what a beautiful day for a run.
Oh my gaaadddd I’ve been running for less than 1 minute and I already feel out of breath.
This feels awful! My body just doesn’t want to run today…
I think I’ll just run 5k today. That feels achievable.
How fast should I be going? I feel like I could go a bit faster.
Oh nope. Too fast.
Okay it’s starting to feel a little bit easier. How far have I been running?
Do I even like running?
I wonder what I look like when I run.
I feel like a leaping gazelle.
Oh look another runner. I better speed up and breath a little harder.
I’m going to take over…
Wow that felt great.
Ok I’m going to slow down now. I better run this way so they don’t see me slowing down.
What are these people doing in front of me? Can they not hear me coming? Move out of the way, people!
Maybe if I pound my feet harder they’ll hear me coming and let me pass.
I hope they don’t think some mad woman chasing them.
Okay, the road it is.
Cyclists you’re just going to have to let me pass. You can swerve.
21. Ah a pedestrian crossing. Hurry up green light, hurry up green light.
22. Oh my god it’s the longest red light EVER!
23. I better jog on the spot so it looks like I’m taking this seriously.
24. Finally! Now I’m free!
25. Wow. This feels great. I feel like I could run forever.
26. But wait, if I run four more miles, that means I have to run six miles back. Can I do that?
27. Is it cheating if I get the train back?
28. Soooo looking forward to nice warm shower when I get back. I feel like a sweaty mess.
29. What should I eat? Something healthy…
30. But a pizza would go down a treat right now. Ooh and a chocolate milkshake! They’re good for you right?
31. Yes, that’s right, I’m running. Stare all you like.
32. Wow that jogger looks so serene. How can she look so amazing whilst running?
33. I wonder what I look like when running?
34. Oh no is that a blister I can feel? Better run faster…
35. I’m so close to home yay!
36. So, a running a marathon means I’d have to do this run SEVEN times.
38. I’d need to train for like, forever!
39. But everyone looks so happy when they do the London Marathon.
40. I’m going to sign up for it.
41. Yayyy! Home time. Now I really need the loo.
42. Wow. I feel great. I feel like I could do that all over again.
43. Maybe not.
44. Now for a lovely hot shower. I deserve it.
45. I guess running isn’t so bad after all.